Thursday, August 4, 2011

Whole wheat pizza made me realise how important family is.

I was looking out for a pizza recipe as my son was asking for it a whole week. But I was too busy nursing a bruised heart. What a drama queen i have turned out to be. It wasn't the end of the world at all. But I just couldn't let go of my disappointment and hurt. Anyway..thanks to good friends. A particular friend teased the hell out of me. He said grow up and move on. And at 36 it's about time I grew up and out of all this.

So i decided to make pizza for my son. While surfing the net for recipes, without thinking or any deliberation I seemed to be sorting out 'healthy' options. I am cooking for family..I am cooking for my son. He needs to eat healthy. So I chose this whole wheat pizza base recipe which read simple.

Here it is:

1 tsp sugar
1 tbsp active dry yeast
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp salt
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour

In a large bowl, dissolve sugar in warm water. Sprinkle yeast over the top and let it stand for about 10 minutes.

Stir the olive oil and salt into the yeast mixture, then mix in the whole flour and 1 cup of all- purpose flour until dough starts to come together. Tip dough out onto the surface floured with the remaining all purpose flour, and knead until all of the flour has been absorbed, and the ball of the dough becomes smooth for about 10 minutes. Place dough in a oiled bowl and turn to coat the surface. Cover loosely with towel and let it stand in a warm place until doubled in size, for about an hour.
When the dough is doubled, tip the dough out into a floured surface and divide into 2 pieces for 2 thin crust or leave the whole to make one thick crust. Form into tight ball let it rise for 45 minutes
Preheat oven to 220 C. Roll out the dough until it will not stretch any further. Then drape it over both of your fist and swing it high.
I let mine land flat on the dish. :-)

Spread the garlic rich, herb infused tomato sauce. Arranged some chicken salami, grated some mozerella and parmesan. Also some sundried tomatoes topped the pizza.
baked for 20 minutes. Served hot with a glass of passion fruit juice.
My son hugged me tight.
What a reward! what a healing !

No comments:

Post a Comment